Welcome to

May 25th 1858 - A Foolish Prank; A few days ago, as the post woman was returning from Witheridge to Rackenford, she was obstructed on her way at Dart River by some fellow unknown who pushed her headlong into the water. The police were informed of the matter and were quickly on the spot, but the mischievous scamp had walked off, and has not since been seen or heard of.

June 1st 1858 - Witheridge. A Hoax; The post woman, who was reported in our last as having been ill-used and thrown into the water, is an impostor, no such outrage having been committed. This is not the first imposition, we hear, she has practised upon the public.

February 10th 1863 - Witheridge Great Market: the great market will be held here on the 12th of February

February 24th 1863: Witheridge - The February Market was held on Thursday last. This market has not been held for several years previously, but will be kept up annually for the future. The day for holding it having been altered so as not to interfere with any neighbouring fairs or markets. There was a fair show of cattle, "all circumstances considered", a considerable portion of which found purchasers".

March 17th 1863 - Witheridge; The worthy rector of this parish, not being troubled with scruples in respect of Lent, headed the subscription list to provide the means for a general holiday. A tea was provided in the National Schoolroom, of which about 500 of all classes partook - old and young, rich and poor, all sitting down in harmony together. In the evening there was dancing in the square to the strains of the Witheridge Band.

September 8th 1863: "Witheridge - The United Parishes of Witheridge and Thelbridge have decided that the Annual Ploughing Match and Agricultural Association shall be held this year on the 23rd inst."

September 15th 1863: "Witheridge - The great Market will be held on Thursday 24th September"

April 12th 1864: Witheridge - Our Spring Fair will be held on Thursday the 21st Inst, and it is hoped that there will be a good attendance."

January 3rd 1865: Witheridge - "On Thursday next a prize ringing match and grand doings amongst the residents of this neighbourhood will take place as announced in our advertising columns. After the match a dinner will be given at the Angel Inn, where the prizes will be distributed to the successful competitors".

January 24th 1865: Witheridge - The Princess of Witheridge and Caraboo.

Some of our readers may have read in the Times a fortnight since the following passage:- Death of the 'Princess Caraboo'. Such of our readers as are interested in the history of impostors will remember that many years since a person who styled herself the 'Princess Caraboo' created a sensation in the literary and fashionable circles of Bath and other places, which lasted until it was discovered that the whole affair was a romance, cleverly sustained and acted out by a young and prepossessing girl. On being deposed from the honours that had been accorded to her, the 'Princess' accepted the situation, retired into comparatively humble life, and married. There was a kind of grim humour in the occupation which she subsequently followed, that of an importer of leeches; but she conducted her operations with much judgement and ability, and carried on her trade with credit to herself and satisfaction to her customers. The quondam 'Princess' died recently at Bristol, leaving a daughter who, like her mother, is said to be of considerable personal attractions.

It will be interesting to the public of this neighbourhood to learn that this strange, indeed extraordinary woman is a native of this town, the daughter of a shoemaker named Wilcox, and the sister of a man whose remarkable eccentricities are within the recollection of many of the inhabitants of Witheridge, and who was very generally known here and elsewhere in Devon as 'Old Harry'. Some years ago the 'Princess' left Witheridge to enter service at Bristol, and shortly after her advent at Bristol the Western Times reported that she was found wandering the streets there in oriental costume. She appeared to speak English with considerable difficulty and could scarcely make herself understood; she represented herself as an Eastern Princess come to England in search of a lost relative. She was of a dark complexion, and so well did she impersonate the character she had assumed that her story received universal belief, and upon the strength thereof she was admitted to the best society in Bristol and Bath. The secret was at last betrayed by a female friend of whom she had made a confidant. Upon being taxed with the importune, the princess confessed the whole truth, asserting that she had no intention of carrying the hoax so far, but that once begun she was afraid to retrace her steps.

Top of Page

September 18th 1866 - Mary Kent was "walking post" between Rackenford and Witheridge twice a day for 14 years, making 17 miles per day, or 102 miles per week, besides the village and roadside delivery. She resigned this office threes years since. This is considered by able practitioners as a very healthy locality.

December 18th 1866: Witheridge - A mechanics institute and reading room has recently been opened in this town. The Vicar (Rev J P Benson) offered the use of the National Schoolroom, and kindly consented to be the president. He opened the meeting with appropriate remarks, when Mr Veysey, of Bideford, gave a lecture to the satisfaction of a respectable and attentive audience. It is hoped that the secretary and committee will meet with generous support so as to enable them to carry on the cause to a successful issue.

December 21st 1869 - South Molton Petty Sessions; "George Cruwys, of Witheridge, summoned his master, Mr John Webber, of Minchion Farm, Witheridge, for a sum of 14 shillings and 3 pence amount due for wages. (Webber claimed that Cruwys had been injured 'larking about', but his fellow servant Thomas Bristol said Webber wanted to get rid of Cruwys. The justice made an order in Cruwys' favour for 13 shillings and ten pence half penny and costs".

Thomas Bristol summoned William Bulled, of Witheridge Farm, for an assault on the above-named George Cruwys on the 1st October last. (Bulled and Cruwys were picking blackberries and got into a scuffle, which involved throwing apples and grappling for a 'spar' in the course of which Cruwys got hit on the head). "After lecturing both parties, the bench dismissed the case, believing there was no intention of committing an assault".

March 26th 1872 - The Fruit of Strikes; On Thursday a meeting was held by the smiths of North Devon at The Bell Inn, for the purpose of deciding what alterations should be made in the price of their work, these alterations being compulsory owing to the dearness of iron and coal. The following gentlemen where present: Messrs W Greenslade, Baker, W Dinner, G Greenslade, Clegg, Pope, Venn, Western, E Holmes, H Greenslade and Southcote. After much discussion the following was decided; standard price for shoeing 6d, removing 2d. Secondly. Owing to the great rise in the price of coal and iron, we find it necessary to charge for the future twenty per cent more for smith's work in general than we have hitherto done. Several letters were read from gentlemen who were unavoidably absent, stating they should abide by the decision of the meeting.

August 20th 1872 - A Dismal Wedding; On Monday last some lady visitors, not many miles from here, hearing it was probable a grand wedding would take place in the parish church, repaired there to behold the bridegroom lead the third lady of his choice to the altar, and to hear him once more promise to love and to cherish till death etc. Snugly ensconcing themselves in one of the pews, they awaited the coming of the bridegroom, who, on his arrival, assumed great importance as a parochial officer and gave them peremptory notice to quit the sacred edifice. The ladies left, and the doors were fastened during the ceremony. A correspondent asks whether this arbitrary act was legal. The ringers, dissatisfied with their actual receipts on a former occasion, did not appear on the scene.

December 10th 1872 - Accident; A few days ago Messrs Hill, Burrows and Benson were returning from South Molton in their dogcart, when about three miles on the road their steed became fractious and finally landed himself on a gate and the drivers in the road. He soon succeeded in scattering the bars of the gate. After this feat he displayed great agility in smashing the lamps, the front of the trap, and breaking the shafts. Fortunately the gentlemen and Bucephalus escaped uninjured.

October 26th 1875 - On Thursday the Cricket Club held their last Social Meeting for the season. The object was to present the highest scorer (Mr John Partridge) with a bat. This was done by Captain Comins, who gave with it a very encouraging speech. Mr Partridge, in responding said that cricket was a game he was exceedingly fond it, and whilst in the town he should do his utmost to support the Club. The Captain had said that he (Mr Partridge) had done well for the season but if he did not do better still another year it certainly should not be his fault.

August 24th 1880 - Witheridge CC v Tiverton CC; This match was played on the Tiverton ground on Wednesday last, under circumstances which, for the credit of cricket, it is gratifying to think are of rare occurrence; for it was difficult to avoid the conclusion that the "tail" of the Witheridge team by a series of systematic delays managed to get "time" called whilst their last man was still putting his pads on. Perhaps it may be only charitable to suppose that intervals of sometimes ten minutes duration between the incoming batsmen were due to ignorance, and not intended as a flagrant violation of MCC rules, which it is needless to say proscribe two minutes grace only. In this instance time regulations were applied exclusively to drawing the stumps, for by a very rigid observance in this particular, what would certainly have been an honest defeat was converted into a dubious draw.

Top of Page

March 15th 1881 - South Molton Rural Sanitary Authority; The general drainage of villages has been attended to, and in some cases rendered fairly efficient and the closet accommodation has been much improved; most of the old cesspits, the fruitful source of serious water contamination, have been done away with, and earth closets substituted. In Dr Body's opinion the pail system with ashes is best adapted for rural districts, as judging by his experience, the ordinary earth closets not being properly attended to by the cottagers, soon become a great nuisance.

July 4th 1882 - Witheridge Fair; The Midsummer Fair was held here on Thursday last, and there was a good attendance of buyers and dealers. The supply of stock was larger than that of previous years. Messrs Ayre, auctioneers of Tiverton and Crediton, held and auction as usual, at which they succeeded in disposing of 30 bullocks and a few lots of sheep and horses, all of which realised very good prices. Quotations; cows and calves £15 to £17 10s; barreners £12 to £14 10s; pair steer yearlings £15 to £19; heifer yearlings £7 to £10; fat lambs 30s 6d to 35s. Mr Hannaford also disposed of a goodly number of horses, cattle and sheep at fair prices.

September 11th 1883 - Glass Ball Shooting Match; A shooting match at glass balls, was held on Monday, and a large number availed themselves of the opportunity of showing their skills as sportsmen. The first prize as won by Mr Hill Partridge, the second by Mr T P Watkins, the third by Mr J M Partridge. Some sweepstakes were afterwards shot for, and were principally carried off by the above gentlemen. A public dinner was provided by Mr Baker at The Angel Hotel, and a merry evening was spent, which resulted in the appointment of a similar meeting in the middle of October next.

December 26th 1882 - The Clock; It was a red-letter day in this town on Wednesday last on the occasion of the opening of the new turret clock, which has been fixed in the tower of the parish church by Messrs Ellis, Depree and Tucker of Exeter. It is considered one of the best pieces of mechanism of the kind in the county. It is made with all the newest improvements, and strikes on the largest bell, so that it is heard from a long distance around. It was first set going on Wednesday afternoon a few minutes before four o'clock by Master Cutcliffe. The clocks first chime, and then struck the hour. There were several parishioners present, and among others the Rev P M Benson, the Vicar, who said they were deeply indebted to George Cutcliffe Esq. of Coombe, for his magnificent gift to his native parish. They all rejoiced at his coming and residing amongst them after an absence of some years, and his sincere wish was that Mr Cutcliffe would live for many long years. Mr Cutcliffe, in a few well-chosen words, thanked the Vicar and parishioners present for the kind expression toward him and his family, and he felt great pleasure in presenting the clock to the parish, which he believed was one of the best that skill could produce. The fine peal of bells then struck out some delightful harmony. The clock has two dials of 6ft 4in diameter, with gilt hands and figure. These dials are fixed at the eastern and southern sides of the tower.

February 26th 1884 - Exciting Chase; Squire Tremlett's harriers on Monday started a fox at New Buildings, Sandford, and ran it at a smart pace towards Witheridge. There it found its way to Stourton Coppice, from thence to Lakelands, then to the great excitement of the inhabitants Reynard paid a visit to Ebringtons Row, in the town, from thence to Lashbrookes garden, where he hid under a gooseberry bush. Being closely followed by the hounds and a number or people, the fox returned to Ebringtons Row, where it was killed and his brush cut off as a trophy of the chase.

April 23rd 1887 - A Witheridge Lunatic at Westminster Abbey; At Westminster Police Court on Saturday, Lewis Burgess, otherwise Greenslade, a man who spoke with a strong American accent, was charged on remand before Mr Partridge with brawling in Westminster Abbey on Good Friday afternoon. The prisoner, as when first charged, was dressed in white knickerbockers and jacket, with a large heart-shaped cutting of red cloth on his breast. Prisoner at the conclusion of the service threw off an overcoat, which concealed his extraordinary attire, rose from his seat and shouted "I am come as a judge; you can stay in hell and be - - - -". As he spoke he flung in the air a number of printed bills, clearly productions of insanity. They were headed to "asinine dunces", "heathen Christians", "ignorant infidels", etc, and in the lines that followed pious sentiments alternated with oaths, blasphemies and curses with scraps and phrases of scripture curiously intertwined. Inspector Peters of the A Division, said the prisoner was a native of Witheridge in North Devon, but had passed the greater part of his life in America. Last Christmas Day he was taken into custody for breaking into Witheridge Church, was certified mad and taken to the asylum at Exminster. He was released some little time after, his wife stating that she had taken a passage to America for him the police said they had received a number of letters complaining of his conduct. Mr Partridge said he had a certificate from the surgeon of Holloway Gaol that the prisoner was insane, and he must order his removal to an asylum. A woman, said to be his wife, rushed forward with three little children and clung to him as he was led out of court, shouting that he had not been able to speak on his own behalf, that he was perfectly sane, and that he had been condemned to a legal death without proper trail. The police conveyed him to the workhouse as a lunatic.

Top of Page

June 11th 1887 - A Confiding Tom-Tit; At Bythen Farm, Witheridge, a tom-tit thinking the farmer, Mr Adams, to be a kind-hearted man, has taken the liberty of building its nest in the letterbox erected in the lane. There she has laid her eggs whilst the letters have daily dropped on her back, and there she has sat whilst the owner has unlocked the box, taken the letters from off her back and again locked her up in her secure little nest. Now she may be seen with her little brood peeping from underneath the envelopes with their mouths wide open, as much as to say "thank you for our lodgings, and as you cannot make a very high price for your corn, you may as well supply us with our food too".

July 2nd 1887: Queen Victoria's Jubilee (1837 - 1887). The celebration on Tuesday passed off most successfully. Nearly £45 was subscribed. Divine Service was held in the church at 11am, the Rev J Torrens preaching from Joshua 4 20. The National Anthem was played by Mr G H Pullen, Jnr, the organist, who supplemented it with the "Hallelujah Chorus". Shortly before 2pm the school children, numbering 200, assembled and marched to the field, (kindly lent by Mr J H J Partridge) where sports and amusements were provided. The arrangements for tea were left to Mrs Brawn and Mrs Whitfield. At 3 o'clock the juveniles assembled in the large marquee belonging to the Witheridge Club, and had tea. Meanwhile the sports for adults were started and the programme was gone through with marked success. Prizes to the value of £5 were distributed. The Revs Thomas Torrens and H J Bishop acted as judges, and Mr Mansfield as starter. At half past four the adults commenced to take their places at the tables, where they found a plentiful supply of boiled and roast beef, cake, etc awaiting them. Altogether about 400 adults took tea. Dancing to music supplied by a string band and the singing of the National Anthem brought a pleasant day to a close.

December 12th 1887: Witheridge Races - These races which came off on Thursday attained as high a degree of success as could reasonably be expected, considering the lateness of the season and the consequent uncertainty of the weather. As the latter turned out favourable, however, the course was in very good condition for racing, and the attendance was fairly large. Darkness setting in at an early hour in the evening prevented the hurdles, Galloway and consolation races announced on the posters from being run. The Witheridge Brass Band was present, and rendered in their usual efficient style a good selection of popular music. Refreshments were supplied by Mr Jas Baker, of the Angel Hotel, at which place the winners were awarded prizes later on in the evening.

May 11th 1889: Mr Cheriton's Otter Hounds met at New Bridge on Saturday. Just after nine o'clock, the huntsman, Mr Budget, started the pack up stream as far as the junction, but without success. The hounds then turned downstream, just below the starting point, under Little Newhouses. They struck the trail of an otter and everyone was eagerly expecting a find in Drayford weir pool, but they were disappointed. As the pack passed the weir to a pool some distance below, where the trail was lost, the huntsman called back, and retried many a likely place, but without success, although no doubt the otter was hiding in some secret spot close by. The pack once more took downstream but without finding an otter. Many complimentary remarks were passed at Witheridge on the healthy state of the pack.

December 7th 1889: Progress - Witheridge, like many other small centres, was at one time very dull during the long winter evenings. The streets were unlit, and there was nothing from without to induce either young or old to leave their firesides. A gradual change has been making itself felt these last two winters. Thirteen street lamps have been erected, and kept lit. The Musical Society, which started just two years ago, has attained celebrity status, because of the excellence of the concerts given by it. For some time past the Society, now numbering over 30, have been busily practising, and are announced to come before the public again very shortly. There are no less than three dancing classes held periodically for the amusement of those whose tastes lie in that direction; while the science and practice of ringing is monopolising the spare time and attention of another section of the young men of the parish. Last, but not least, there is the Subscription Brass Band.

February 27th 1892: The Weather - On Friday, the snow fell very heavily during the whole of the day with a strong northeast wind, causing very large drifts in the road, so that vehicular travelling was stopped. The mail cart was able to come yesterday, but unable to go out again in the evening. The rural postmen were unable to go on their rounds. The carriers from Exeter took their vans laden with goods as far as possible, and left them at a farm near the road, and then took home their horses. It is to be hoped that men will soon be put on so as to clear the roads, that traffic may resume its usual course. The thunder on Saturday morning seems to have cleared the atmosphere and we are glad to see the sun making its appearance again, although a little more snow has fallen. I hope that frost and snow will soon bid us adieu for this season.

August 11th 1894: A large excursion party of over 120 visited Teignmouth on Wednesday in connection with our Young Peoples Guild. The outing was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Mr Maunder, Mr James Partridge and Mr J Lake to convey the young folks to Crediton kindly lent horses. They returned by the 6 o'clock train.

Top of Page

November 5th 1894: Technical Instruction - The first of a series of lectures on horticulture, was given by Mr John Haynes of Barnstaple in the National Schoolroom on Monday, when a good number of people were present to improve their knowledge on the above subject. Practical hints on budding, grafting, pruning and fruit growing generally were given.

November 17th 1894: Floods at Witheridge - After the heavy rains of Sunday and Monday, the streams rose rapidly and overflowed the adjoining land. At mid-day, the Little Dart had become a swollen torrent quite 50 yards wide and was flowing quite over the bridge. The valley at the bottom of Commercial Head was soon full of water and the cottages in Pullens Row were flooded. In Tonin's Cottage, there were several feet of water, which kept pouring from front to back in a perfect torrent. During Tuesday night a terrific gale was blowing, which died away before morning, and a heavy rain set in which continued all day and threatened another flood. The mail cart from Morchard Bishop did not reach until 1.30pm on Monday. It is many years since such floods visited Witheridge.

August 3rd 1895: Rev J P Benson's rent audit was held at the Angel Hotel. Present were the Rev Benson, and Messrs Wreford, Vickery, Blackmore, Lee Maunder, Lewing, Matthews, Besley, etc. Mr Wreford in proposing the health or Mr Benson hinted that no land bill could benefit a set of tenants where such mutual understanding and kindly feeling existed as between them and their landlord. In response to the toast most heartily drunk, Mr Benson said it was his pleasure at all times to make his tenants comfortable and whenever he had any spare cash necessary repairs should be attended to. He also hoped the parishioners would assist him in church and school expenses.

November 2nd 1895: Reading Room - A general meeting was held at the Reading Room on Saturday last when about 20 members were present, Mr J W Partridge, hon. sec. occupied the chair. The Chairman said Mr Thomas had made a complaint respecting the unnecessary noise that had been made in the room for the past few weeks. One of the committee said it was no doubt owing to the young men stamping to the tunes played on the piano, and visitors would be asked to be less boisterous in future. It was proposed that matting be put down to overcome the difficulty but it was thought that funds were not adequate to cope with the extra expense, consequently the motion was overthrown.

March 13th 1897: The hopes and anticipations of many have been realised at last. The steamroller visited in the early part of the week and made a stay of several days. Not only has the main thoroughfare received attention, but the other streets have been rolled, so that the roads are now in a better condition than they have been for years. The hope is that the steamroller will become more general in the near future, as many believe this method of road making is the most economical in the long run.

August 21st 1897: "Breeze at Witheridge Flower Show" - George Henry Selley, of Witheridge, was summoned by Frederick Phipps, for wilfully damaging a "striking" machine, his property, on 12th August at Witheridge Flower Show. Mr W B Seldon, Barnstaple, appeared for the complainant and Mr R S Crosse for the defendant. Complainant said he was a licensed Hawker and travelled with a toy stall and striking machine. He arrived at Witheridge and paid 2s.6d for a stall. Shortly afterwards a second half crown was demanded which he refused to pay. Defendant then said he would knock the thing down; he cut the rope and struck the machine with a mallet, damaging it to such an extent that he had not been able to use it since. A new one would cost £4. The second half crown was subsequently paid. The board was split 12 feet long. The machine cost him £5 10s, this was exclusive of the plume of feathers and the bell. William Hurford and Louisa Hurford corroborated as to seeing the defendant commit and damage. Robert Way and Herbert Mansfield gave evidence on behalf of the defendant as to the usual charge for stalls etc. The latter heard Mr Selley tell the complainant to shift the machine or he would do it for him. Selley struck the machine, and made a crack large enough to admit a penknife. Witness considered that 3d to 6d would meet the damages. Further evidence having been given by Mr J W Partridge and Mr Crosse, the bench fined the defendant 2s 6d and expenses and allowed the complainant £1 for the damage done. The amount of £2 13s 6d was paid.

December 25th 1897: An extension was granted until 3 o'clock to Sidney Cox, landlord of the Angel Hotel, on 31st December for a dinner and ball held by the local Sick and Burial Society.

August 6th 1898: Great inconvenience is being experience just now through the great scarcity of water in this town, a fact that is made more apparent by the waterworks being yet incomplete. Hopes are entertained that this state of things will not last much longer or the outlook will be serious.

August 19th 1899: Vehicles without lights - At the South Molton County Petty Sessions, several from Witheridge were summoned for driving at night without lights as required by the new county byelaws. As these were the first offences under the new regulations, the Bench let the defendants off on payment of costs.

Top of Page


May 24th 1902: Rifle Range for Witheridge - The Volunteer Movement in Witheridge has made rapid strides since a section was formed in March 1900; The Company now numbers about 110 men under Captain Shelley and Lieutenants Cruwys and Gurney. The Vicar readily assented to a range on his property at Bradford in the tenancy of Mr Wreford, who also gave his consent. It was decided to make Saturday week the opening day. The weather was very rough, the honour of firing the first shot was accorded to Mrs Shelley, and when the signal was given for a bull there was a hearty cheer. The Vicar also proved himself a steady shot. All present then had a few shots each at 200 and 500 yards, and returned to the village to partake of a luncheon provided at the Angel Hotel by Host Fradd. The afternoon was spent in the Drill Hall, where there was some very good Morris Tube shooting.

August 16th 1902: Coronation - The festivities were initiated by the Parish Council, who appointed a committee for June 26th and reappointed it for Saturday (compiler's note; the Coronation date had to be postponed due to the illness of King Edward V11). Among those who worked the hardest to bring the proceedings to a successful issue were Mrs Clatworthy, Miss Meadows, Mesdames Shelley, G Shelley and Cheney, the Misses Pullen and Hayter, Mr and Mrs Tolley, Mr and Mrs Andrews, Mr and Mrs Carter and Mr and Mrs Benson. The village was gay with flags and bunting. The Volunteers paraded the town in the morning and attended divine service in the Parish Church at 11.30, where the Vicar gave a brief address. The school children were given a tea, and a programme of sports was done through.

August 29th 1903: Motor Cars for Rural Districts - At their recent meeting the Tiverton and District Agricultural Association passed a resolution calling on the Great Western Railway Company to bring about at the earliest possible moment a motorcar service between Tiverton and Witheridge.

October 3rd 1903: Crops - Wheat not average, barley ditto; oats average crop; swedes not average, many turned to finger and toe; turnip, failure; potatoes above average; mangold very good; apples quite a failure; grass very plentiful; hay ditto; straw not up to average.

August 6th 1904: Motor Car Traffic - The Chairman of South Molton RDC brought up the report of the Committee with respect to the regulation of motorcar traffic in the district. After consideration of what would best tend to public safety the Committee said they could not recommend such traffic on district roads. They suggested with regard to main roads that the speed permitted should not exceed 12 miles an hour.

November 4th 1905: A correspondent writes "If the Great Western Railway Company fight shy of starting motor car from Tiverton to Witheridge, why does not the South Western Railway run one between Lapford and Witheridge? The distance is only 8 miles and the road is level for a great part of the way".

February 1st 1908: A lantern Lecture was given in the British Schoolroom on Thursday, entitled "Peary's Dash for the North Pole". There was a large and appreciative gathering. Mr Cole of Newhouse came with his lantern and the pictures were very clearly shown.

May 2nd 1908: Witheridge as a Health Resort - Witheridge being 10 miles away from a station does not get so many visitors as it deserves. However, this Easter a medical man in flourishing practice in Monmouth sought change of air and rest at Witheridge, and found both much to his satisfaction. He tells us that although he had been round the world, taking 6 years in the process, he was never in Devon before save for one day in Ilfracombe. Of the beautiful scenery around Witheridge our medical friend spoke with warm appreciation. He was specially struck with the beauties of Bradford Pond, a fine stretch of water three quarters of a mile in length, embowered among trees and teeming with fish, an ideal spot for a picnic in fine weather. There are swans and heron in the vicinity. It forms part of the estate of the Vicar, the Rev J P Benson. From a doctor's point of view the chief drawback of Witheridge, apart from its isolation, seems to be extreme healthiness. Nobody ever seems to be ill there. There is however plenty of sport.

October 29th 1910: Theft from Witheridge Church. At the Devon assizes, before Mr Justice Bankes, a labourer was indicted for breaking and entering a church and stealing a penny, the money of the Vicar of the parish, at Witheridge between 15th and 18th June. He denied the charge, marks on the offertory box corresponded with a knife and a pair of scissors found on the accused, and his boots fitted imprints discovered near the church, he was found guilty and sentenced to penal servitude to three years - previously he had served two periods of five years penal servitude.

March 11th 1911: A meeting has been held in the National School for the purpose of hearing a report as to the canvass for the appointment of a District Nurse, notice has been received of 80 subscribers. The cost was estimated at about £60, of which £40 had already been promised. A committee was formed for the purpose of making all inquiries concerning the matter. A vote of thanks was accorded the members of the Parish Council for the trouble they had taken.

June 24th 1911: Coronation Rejoicings, Church and Chapel services, sports, 200 children have tea in the marquee, meat tea for 400 adults, dancing and games "until the time arrived for the large bonfire to be lit", when there was a general move to Providence, where a huge bonfire, the wood for which had been given by the farmers, had been erected in a field belonging to Mr Tucker. Before setting the fire alight, Mr Churchill gave a good display of fireworks, and then amidst many cheers and much excitement the pile was set ablaze, which signalled for miles around that Witheridge and Thelbridge were ending the day's rejoicing in the generally approved fashion.

Top of Page

February 21st 1914: Disturbing Salmon - Five Witheridge young men were summoned with disturbing salmon in certain waters called the Queen Dart at Witheridge, Contrary to section 16 of the Salmon Fishery Act 1861, the defence was that the defendants while searching for cattle, disturbed a rabbit and they crossed the stream in pursuit of it, they admitted ignorance of what a spawning bed was. They were each fined a shilling and costs.

April 11th 1914: At a meeting of the Bowling Club in the National School, the Vicar presided the Hon Sec Mr G H Pullen, made a statement of the formation of the Club, and read letters from well-wishers, among whom were Mr Cutcliffe (Dawlish), Messer Ian Amory M F H , Cottrell (Hon Dec Tiverton Bowls Club) and W Howe (South Molton Bowls Club). It was decided that bona fide working men of the parish should be allowed use of the green during the evenings on payment of two pence.

August 21st 1915: The number of eggs sent from Witheridge in July in connection with the National Egg Collection for Wounded Soldiers and Sailors is 1071 and subscriptions of £2 8s have forwarded to the committee for the same purpose. Up to the end of July 1791 eggs have been sent from the village.

April 28th 1917: South Molton RDC - Mr Trawin said, "I should like to ask who would be answerable if an accident occurred through the condition of our roads. Take the Witheridge roads, If you fell out of a trap and pitched in one of the ruts, people would pass and never see you (laughter). The state of the roads wants looking into".

May 19th 1917: The first motor plough seen in Witheridge arrived a few days ago and proceeded to Newhouse for Mr E J Cole.

June 23rd 1917: Witheridge Auction - The largest entry of stock ever recorded for a June market, nearly 1,000 sheep and 150 bullocks, besides pigs and horses.

"I don't care what the law is, I produce it and if I'm eating cream I'm not eating anything else".

"I maybe cabbage looking but I'm not green".

"Smoke a pipe to get the fleas out the cat's ear".

"And George Mayne's jacket went down into the thresher and the thresher went "woomf", and Hughie said "was you wearing it, George?"

"Dick Middleton was a rabbit trapper; when he was in the Army his wife addressed a letter to him: - Dick Middleton, Rabbit Catcher, Somewhere in France".

January 26th 1918: There are nearly 100 members in the local war Savings Association, and 72 certificates have been purchased during the present week.

October 18th 1918: Mr G H Pullen, Chairman of the Parish Council, presided at a meeting in the National School on Saturday October 18th, called to make final arrangements respecting the War Memorial. There was only a fair attendance, and the report showed that the response to the appeal made for funds had fallen far short of what was anticipated, the amount reached being some little over £80. As there seemed a bar to fixing the wayside cross in the Square, it was decided to place the memorial just inside the churchyard rails.

May 29th 1920: Men engaged in the building trades at Witheridge are asking for an increase in wages of two pence an hour - mechanics from 1s 5d to 2s 3d an hour, and labourers from 1s to 1s 2d per hour. Mr W H Hobbs, District Organiser of the Workers Union, on Saturday and had an interview with Messrs Way Bros, the principal firm in the locality concerned, who however it is understood, refused to accede to the request. It is probable that the matter will be referred to the Ministry of Labour to decide, so that a strike may be avoided.

October 30th 1920: South Molton RDC - It was reported that the Postmaster General's representative would meet parish representatives and "explain the position". "We don't want the position explained", said a member, "we want the telephone". Mr Trawin hoped they would not have the state of affairs that existed in housing, for if so they would not have the telephone until some of them "were in their graves".

April 5th 1924: A Witheridge Nonagenarian - A South Wales journal contains an interesting sketch of Mr Henry Ford, a native of Witheridge, who has just celebrated his 95th birthday. Born at Witheridge in 1829, Mr Ford comes of proud old Devon stock, the family being known throughout that county for their skill as coopers, a craft that they have been engaged in for over 300 years. In the year 1850 Mr Ford, who had completed his training to follow the family craft, left Witheridge and made his way to Bristol, where in due course he took to the sea and signed on as a ship's cooper in one of Bristol's old sailing vessels, his first voyage was to the West Coast of Africa, a voyage that occupied 17 months overall. He continued in active work until the age of 79 years. Mrs Ford is now 88, and there are 6 children and 25 grandchildren.

February 21st 1925: Recently a wireless concert took place in the British School in aid of the Congregational Church. The programme was received clearly and of ample volume, arrangements being carried out by Mr W J Cole, wireless dealer of South Molton. There was a crowded attendance.

Top of Page

October 16th 1928: Eight Houses for Witheridge - Five tenders have been received for the erection of eight houses at Witheridge. The lowest tender has been accepted, that of Messrs J Morrish and Sons, at £3,123, conditional on their giving an undertaking to erect the houses by 15th March next.

June 29th 1929: Thursday will be a day long remembered by the inhabitants of Witheridge who gathered in full force for the opening of a recreation ground of about an acre at Providence. The arrangements were made by the local Playing Fields Association. The programme opened with a procession through the village, organised by Miss Margaret Mansfield, of children in fancy costumes. After the ceremony the children attending the local undenominational school gave a folk dancing display, which was followed by sports and sideshows. Refreshments were dispensed by a Ladies Committee under Mrs Lewis and Mrs Silliphant. The Vicar, Rev J A S Castlehow presided. He was supported by the Earl of Devon, Sir Ian Amory Bt MFH, and others, thanks were expressed to Miss Mansfield for so generously buying the ground in memory of her father, who had been a great sportsman.

February 21st 1931: Inquiry at Witheridge on New Sewerage Scheme - At present 90% of houses have WC's; the Council will bear the cost of connecting them. The Inspector said it was impossible to connect the Vicarage as it was at a lower level that other houses nearby, the annual loan charges would be £169 15s 3d.

Previous      Go to Top      Home       Text Version      Next Page

Last Edited 03/07/2006    Copyright © 2000-2006 Witheridge

Unless otherwise indicated on the page in question, the photographic images reproduced on this site belong to the Witheridge Archives, and, as such may not be reproduced for commercial purposes without written permission. However, you are welcome to use any of the photographs belonging to the archive for personal and/or non-commercial use. Any material shown as not being owned by the archive may not be reproduced in any form without first receiving written permission from the owner of the material in question.