Welcome to

The first Witheridge Bowling Club was formed in 1914. A notice in the Tiverton Gazette of the 17th February 1914, reported that the Rev J P Benson had presided over a meeting of the Bowling Club committee at which rules were presented for discussion. They decided to get estimates for a pavilion, and to open their new ground after Easter. The new ground lay at the back of the Manse behind the Congregational Chapel, and was leased. At a further meeting on 31st March, tenders for rolling and cutting the ground twice a week were considered, and the lowest, of £5.5s.0d. from Mr Fred Leach, was accepted. It was reported that the Vicar had given timber for a pavilion and that Mr H Way had offered to erect it for out-of-pocket expenses. In April, 80 people attended a dance in the Assembly Rooms, raising £2 in aid of the new Bowling Club. In its history, the club included a number of County players; among them have been Mr Frank Lawrence, Mr Francis Venner, Mr Dick Cox and Mr W S Selley

Taken at the opening of the Bowling Pavilion in 1948. At a meeting of the Bowling Club, in the National School, the Vicar presided. The Hon Secretary (Mr G H Pullen) made a statement of the formation of the Club, and read letters from well-wishers, among whom were Dr. M Cutcliffe (Dawlish), Messrs Ian Amory, M F H Cottrell (Hon Secretary Tiverton B.C.), and W Howe (Hon Secretary South Molton B.C.). It was decided that bona fide working-men of the parish should be allowed the use of the green during the evenings on the payment of 2d. The following officers were elected: President, the Rev J P Benson; captain, Dr A Houghton; vice-captain, Mr A Andrews; Committee, Messrs. W Carter, H J Mansfield, F Maunder, W Lee and G H Selley, with Mr G H Pullen as Hon Secretary and treasurer.

Previous      Go to Top      Home       Text Version      Next Page

Last Edited 03/07/2006    Copyright © 2000-2006 Witheridge

Unless otherwise indicated on the page in question, the photographic images reproduced on this site belong to the Witheridge Archives, and, as such may not be reproduced for commercial purposes without written permission. However, you are welcome to use any of the photographs belonging to the archive for personal and/or non-commercial use. Any material shown as not being owned by the archive may not be reproduced in any form without first receiving written permission from the owner of the material in question.